Sunday, March 31, 2013

The Bowler



     
        If you’re like me you probably spent your spring break scrounging around your local city in search of the crème de la crème of sophisticated headwear.  I know what you’re thinking: you want a hat that is rich in tradition but establishes a sense of originality, something eccentric yet familiar.  Well folks, I’ve been searching for that hat myself.  I’ve looked high and low for a local haberdashery in my home town; then the adjoining town; then, sadly ladies and gentlemen, I was forced to admit defeat.  Yes, folks, I feel your slightly perturbed empathy, because, as of now, I’ll have to wait to get my hands on a bowler hat.  That’s right, I couldn’t find a bowler or derby hat, and missed my long awaited chance to individualize my eclectic collection of gentlemen’s headwear.

            The bowler is thought to have been commissioned by Edward Coke (i.e. William Coke’s little brother[1]) or possibly William himself.  That hat was, according to this place, designed as a form of hard hat for William Coke’s game warden.  They needed a hat they could wear while patrolling his property on horseback, a hat that could protect them from low hanging branches and foliage.  The legend states that when Coke was first presented with his custom made hat he immediately threw it to the floor and trampled it underfoot to test its durability.  Then he quickly placed it on his head, and he left the haberdashery most likely pleased with the hats rugged design.  The bowler was created by some hatters who had the last name bowler, but the bowler hat has many names; it’s called a derby in the United States because derby riders wore it, the Coke hat due to the contributions of either William or Edward[2] Coke, and the, more traditional term, the bowler due to the hatters that created it.

            Sadly I’ll probably miss the re-propagation of the bowler as it makes its way back into mainstream fashion, because, according to these guys, the bowler hat is making its way back into British mainstream fashion, and, before you know it, the unique hat design will begin to proliferate throughout America.  I guess I’ll have to lag behind on this trend.




[1] That is to say William Coke as in the Second Earl of Leicester.
[2] There is, however, a point of contention as to whether William or Edward commissioned it, and triangulating the source seems bring about further disputations.
 

3 comments:

  1. Awesome blog as always! I really like how you combine highfalutin langauge with historical facts about all these hats. I don't think I've ever been continually captivated reading about an article of clothing, great skill! I also didn't know there were variants of the derby hat, or I guess only variants in name? The added element of footnotes is cool too, it makes your blog seem more academic and professional, and I like academic and professional sometimes lol. You've been consistent throughout your blogging experience and you're adding to your repertoire, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! The thing that keeps me most intrigued with all of your posts is that it is all new information to me. Also, it seems that most of the hats you pick to discuss about are not one sided when it comes to gender. Many of these hats I've seen on both men and women. It's great because these facts could benefit everyone. I hope your quest to find the perfect bowler hat goes a little bit better next time. Maybe one day it will pop right out at you when you least expect it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it funny that this is considered a sophisticated, much desired hat, yet one of the first people to wear it trampled on it and then threw it on his head. Hehe, a sophisticated hat with a purpose! Good work BGunder. I liked the way you weaved your links throughout your post. Very subtle and a very begundering move. I always love reading the history of the hats and it coincides nicely with your sense of humor. Perhaps you should be a history teacher. But no, don't be. Awful stuff.

    ReplyDelete