Thursday, May 2, 2013

The Beret


            Ladies and gentlemen of the hebephrenic hatter, I’ve been contemplating life lately, and, as I let the light spring incandescence cascade over my corporeal being, I’ve come to realize that the importance of introspective philosophy lies within the mind of the poets and thespians of our time.  All of the throes of humanity have riddled my ephemeral existence with the sorrowful tribulations of life, and I need a median to express myself whether it been painting, sculpture, or music.  That’s right people I’ve come to understand the necessity of poetry, acting, and art.  Furthermore, my adoring public, I have initiated directives to revolutionize the throne of the hatter, and I need a hat that expresses my revolutionary mindset, something that says poet, thespian, and philosopher.  That’s it, I need a beret!


            While the beret has become the paragon of the pretentious artist in America, these guys seem to state that its origins are with the military of ancient Greece, and the beret definitely has militant connotations.  In the Second World War the French resistance (i.e. the Maquis) wore the Basque beret, because it was such a common hat they could organize their forces and still remain inconspicuous to their enemies.  The U.S. caught on to the covert connotations of the hat, and it quickly became a staple of the Special Forces attire in the military.  It is also common knowledge that Che Guevara popularized the beret as a revolutionary icon for guerilla warfare in modern day society.  In fact, the vigilante group The Guardian Angels wear red berets as they patrol the streets in major world cities.
 
Photo courtesy of biography.com

            This place here state that the beret, while mostly a European icon, has been embraced by intellectuals and artists alike throughout history.  Whether you are the creative type or the revolutionary, the beret is the hat for you.  So, men and women of the hat world, embrace your artistic side, and go out today and buy a beret.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful contemplations preceding your introduction of the beret Brandon. I have thoroughly enjoyed your blog entries this semester and you have broadened my vocabulary along the way. Bravo bro bravo! Congratulations on earning your degree, and may you fare well and be prosperous as a college graduate.

    And to answer your question on my blog, some people do hunt down food and in areas their not suppose to, but usually people pack all the food needed until they get to a resupply station or have someone pack in resupplies. A lot of people take collapsible fishing poles too to supplement meals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blogs have been absolutely mad and delightful. You did a great job at keeping the tone consistent. this last one was just as well written and informative. I'm not sure if I'm artistic enough for the beret. I feel like the beret should come along wth a baguette. perhaps some cheese. lovely blogs Brandon. Always informative and entertaining.

    ReplyDelete